First finishes for the new year, a good way to get the year started. I have to admit, though, I picked an easy UFO to finish.
First Finish, a Squirrel!
I really was going to start the year by only tackling my pile of UFOs. Really, I was! But then I saw Curated Quilts request for Minimal Mini Quilts, and thought I would play with that a bit. The colors are given, but any type of fabric can be used. The quilts must be 10″ x 10″ or 16″ x 16″.
Thanks to some quilty friends who sent me some nice bundles of solid fabrics during the IG “Get Your Quilty Wishes Granted” event, I had the colors I needed, so I decided to play a bit.
Here’s my little mini. I likely won’t be submitting it, since it’s not all that great, and it’s just a bit shy of 10″ (I think). It was fun making it, though. The quilting was done with 50 wt Aurifil Dove (#2600). The matchstick quilting took a little time, but I’m happy with the finished look.
I found it funny that the little quilt perfectly matches my bedspread. That wasn’t planned, and it doesn’t work too well for a backdrop. However, the bedroom happens to have the brightest, best lighting when snapping pictures late at night.
Note: In case you are wondering why in the world a quilter has a bedspread? It’s a transition piece while I wait for the future renovation of our bedroom. Then it will have a quilt!
UFO Finish of 2018
BigJ and I took a road trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario, a few years ago. While there, we stopped at a cute little quilt shop called Circle of Friends. I picked up a bundle of buttery yellow fabrics that I just couldn’t resist.
Having no idea what I was going to do with the fabric, it languished on the shelf. Then one day, I put this quilt together. The top sat and waited to be quilted. I finally ended up taking it to Connie to work her magic.
The quilt is 42″ x 51″. Using no pattern, I just sketched it out and put it together. It took me so long to finish it that I used up the remainder of the gray fabric, which I discovered when I decided to bind it today. Thankfully I had just enough of one of the yellow fabric to eke out a narrow binding. I do usually set aside binding fabric when making a quilt, so I’m not sure why I didn’t do that this time.
I bought the backing at a different time than I bought the bundle. The buttery yellow in the bundle is a difficult color to match, and I picked up the backing without any scraps from the top with me. It works okay, but the yellows aren’t too close. I was glad I didn’t have to use the backing fabric for the binding.
I have no idea where this quilt will go. True to its history, it will just have to sit for a bit until I decide.
Happy stitching, friends!