On Friday I had hoped to be able to show you the finished table runner. Today I hoped to show you my progress on the Quilters Madder Quiltalong. Instead I spent the entire weekend laid low by a cold/flu bug, so there was not much sewing done.
Last Wednesday, a few of you asked about Madder prints after I posted my blog. Madder is a type of dye, and the color content of the dye varies with the soil and the weather. The madder colors are brilliant red, brick red, salmon pink, light pink, peach, buff, pink, lavender grays, medium brown, chocolate, violet, darker purple, and near black. Mordants used for the dye produce these results: weak alum – pink; strong alum – red; weak iron – lilac or violet; strong iron – black; mixture – various browns; copper – scarlet red. This information was given to me by Margo of Reproduction Fabrics. She has put together some fat 1/8 bundles of Madder prints; you can find those here.
I have managed to get the first blocks for the quilt along completed. Just a few simple four patches and two patches. I hope to get a little further along on the project later today.
Last night I began adding some stem stitching to the leaves on my table runner, adding some veins and a few outline stitches.
My goal for today is to get moved back into my quilt space now that I have new flooring. Then I hope to get some sewing done on the QAL blocks. I’ll continue working on the runner this evening.