Vintage Tumbler, that’s what I’m calling this quilt. Okay, the quilt top and fabric isn’t really vintage, but it sure feels like it is to me. I’ve had it gathering dust on my shelves long enough. I’m not telling how long. Ha!
Originally this quilt top had an additional cream border, which was supposed to have appliquéd vines and pumpkins. I started this before I had done much appliqué and I was not enjoying it at all. So, I ripped the cream borders off yesterday, and just decided to leave it with the narrow border.
Not all things match up on the top, and I could’ve been a little more careful with the layout, but I’ve always liked the colors in the quilt. Some of the cream tumbler fabric has sparkles in it. Who doesn’t like sparkles now and then?
I used a backing from my stash. I had just enough, which made me happy. Enough for the quilt, and one more piece off my shelf!
For the quilting, I just decided to keep it simple and follow the line of the tumblers. I had a variegated rusty orange thread in my thread stash, a YLI 40 wt that, thankfully, worked pretty well. I really like the pattern on the back from the quilting.
Here’s a closer view of the back.
When I did the quilting, I just stitched from the border all along the tumblers.
Once I finished that stitching, I had the two side borders that needed some stitching, so I just echoed the pattern around the tumblers. It worked out okay, even though the stitching is closer together than on the other blocks. Oh well!
Here’s another view, hopefully you can see the border stitching.
And that’s one more UFO done. I’m pretty excited about that!